We’ll Leave It There So: GAA All-Stars revealed, Fifa charge Ireland and today’s sport
Source: John Locher
- Mayo’s Lee Keegan has been named GAA/GPA Footballer of the Year and Waterford’s Austin Gleeson Hurler of the Year at the All-Star awards.
- Gleeson was also named Young Hurler of the Year and Mayo’s Diarmuid O’Connor Young Footballer of the Year at tonight’s ceremony.
- Seven players from Tipperary’s All-Ireland winning team were named in the All-Star hurling team.
- World football’s governing body, Fifa, has charged the FAI over wearing a political symbol to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising, during March’s friendly against Switzerland.
- Ireland 7s captain and Lansdowne club man Tom Daly will make his debut for Leinster against Zebre tomorrow.
- Former Dundalk midfielder Richie Towell looks set to play his first match of the season when he takes the field for Brighton’s U23 side.
- A New Zealand journalist mistook Ireland prop Jack McGrath for Rory Best, in an awkward moment in the pre-match press conference.
- Conor McGregor has promised to punish Eddie Alvarez for suggesting the Dubliner will make for an “easy fight” next week.
Source: Tim Goode
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has welcomed Yaya Toure’s apology for agent Dimitri Seluk’s outbursts against the former Barcelona manager.
- Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes thinks things will get worse, before they get better for his former club.
- Former Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has replaced Sven-Goran Eriksson as the coach of Shanghai SIPG, earning a cool £11m a year.
- Kevin Durant came back to haunt his former side by scoring 39 points in Golden State Warriors’ victory over Oklahoma City Thunder.
The Best Thing We Shared
Former German international goalkeeper Tim Wiese made a successful debut in WWE.
Source: Watch News 2/YouTube
On The Record
New Zealand legend Dan Carter was left disappointed by his recent doping allegations:
It was as simple as that within the WADA [World Anti-Doping Agency] regulations. Unfortunately some details got leaked and a story was made of it. I obviously had done nothing wrong and it has been proven now. Just kind of all moved from all that really.
Source: James Crombie/INPHO
Murray Kinsella and Sean Farrell are in Chicago to get all the latest news on the eve of Ireland’s Test match against New Zealand.
Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.
Become a Member
Source: Billy Stickland/INPHO
While Sinead Farrell attended Lynn Harvey’s weigh-in ahead of her fight against Mary Romero at the National Boxing Stadium.
The Fixture List
- The November internationals get underway with Ireland aiming to make history against New Zealand (kick-off at 8.00pm), while Wales entertain Australia earlier in the day (kick-off 2.30pm).
- Not forgetting the Pro12 with Leinster in Italy to take on Zebre (kick-off 4.05pm).
- There’s plenty of club GAA matches to keep us entertained with Castleknock looking to shock St Vincent’s in the Dublin SFC final (throw-in 3.00pm) on Saturday, with Ballyea against Thurles Sarsfields (throw-in 2.00pm) in the Munster SHC, the pick of Sunday’s action.
- Two-time Olympic medalist Paddy Barnes will make his pro debut in Belfast at the Titanic Centre on Saturday evening, while Lynn Harvey fights her second pro fight in Dublin.
- The showpiece footballing event of the year takes place on Sunday, with Dundalk aiming for a second consecutive double, when they face Cork City in the FAI Cup final (kick-off 3.40pm), while Wexford Youths face Shelbourne in the women’s final (kick-off 12:00pm).
- The pick of the Premier League matches takes place at the Emirates when North London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham go head-t0-head at noon on Sunday/
- UFC Mexico takes place in the early hours of Sunday morning, while Jessie Vargas meets Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.
The man himself, Eamon Dunphy, along with some familiar faces, are to launch a new football podcast.
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!