We’ll Leave It There So: O’Neill hits back at Koeman, Carbery to make European debut and today’s sport
Ulster are put through their paces before Sunday’s clash with Bordeaux in Belfast.
Source: Presseye/Jonathan Porter/INPHO
- Martin O’Neill has hit back at Everton manager Ronald Koeman by defending his right to select James McCarthy for Ireland’s last two WQ qualifiers.
- Ireland’s trio of Graeme McDowell, Paul McGinley and Shane Lowry are all going well at the British Masters, which is led by England’s Richard Bland.
- Johnny Sexton will miss Leinster’s Champions Cup opener against Castres with a tight hamstring.
- 20-year-old Joey Carbery will deputise at out-half and Leo Cullen is confident he can fill Sexton’s boots.
- Andrew Trimble will captain Ulster for Sunday’s clash with Bordeaux, but there is still no sign of a return for Tommy Bowe.
- Connacht boss Pat Lam has made one change for his side’s Champions Cup return against Toulouse.
- Dave Kilcoyne has been passed fit for Munster‘s trip to Racing 92 but Keith Earls misses out.
- Páirc Uí Chaoimh won’t be ready to host Cork’s Munster senior hurling quarter-final next year as the ground won’t open after its redevelopment until July 2017.
- Ian Madigan says he has yet to play his best rugby since moving to France despite starting life with Bordeaux impressively.
A view of the ongoing redevelopment work at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
Source: Gary Carr/INPHO
- Footballer Ched Evans has been found not guilty of rape following a retrial in Wales.
- Jose Mourinho has pleaded with Man United and Liverpool fans to stop chanting about club tragedies ahead of their much-anticipated meeting on Monday.
- There’s no place for Dan Carter in the Racing 92 team to face Munster on Sunday as he struggles with a calf problem.
- French prosecutors today called for former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse to be charged with blackmail over a sex tape scandal involving Karim Benzema.
- Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has laughed off rumours he’s set to be sacked by the club.
The Best Thing We Shared
Kevin Doyle showed he’s still got an eye for goal with this cracking diver header in the MLS last night.
Posted by on Saturday, 22 January 2022
“Manager of the Month is a nice prize, but unfortunately a second ago I saw the new fixture changes. I am not too happy. I can’t believe we have less than 48 hours between City and Sunderland.”
Jurgen Klopp was fuming with the Premier League after Liverpool’s festive fixtures were re-arranged.
Where we were today
Ryan Bailey was down at the RDS as Leinster hosted their press conference before Saturday’s clash with Castres.
Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO
The Fixture List
- The Premier League returns on Saturday with seven games down for decision, including the early kick-off between Chelsea and Leicester.
- Champions Cup rugby is back this weekend with Leinster in action against Castres (3.15pm) and Connacht hosting Toulouse (5.30pm) tomorrow. On Sunday, Munster are in Paris to face Racing 92 (3.15pm).
Dubliner Paddy Holohan on adjusting to life as a former UFC star.
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!